I am obsessed with the human gut biome. The more I read about it the more it amazes me. The balance of bacteria is proving to be much more important than we ever thought possible. The more I learn the more passionate I become about a gut supportive diet that includes naturally fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, naturally fermented pickles and kvass.
I want to share with you some amazing things that gut bacteria can do.
1) Gut bacteria learn from each other. They can directly exchange genetic material from other bacteria and take on enzymatic functions, immune defense functions and other digestive mechanisms.
2) Gut bacteria can help improve our bone mineral density by increasing the expression of calcium binding proteins.
3) Phytic acid is an anti-nutrient. It is found in seeds, grains, nuts legumes and many other foods. Certain gut flora can actually turn phytic acid into a B vitamin called inositol.
4) According to Dr. Art Ayers an optimally outfitted human biome that is given sufficient nutrition can manufacture all the vitamins a person requires.
5) Our gut biome represents a second brain. They produce a lot of neurotransmitters. 95% of our serotonin and ½ of our dopamine is produced in the gut by the bacteria. They can make us depressed, anxious, compulsive and even autistic.
By this list of benefits we can see how important a good gut biome is to our physical and mental health and well being. Take care of your gut!
-Eat the highest quality foods that you can find.
-Have probiotic-fermented foods every day.
-avoid antibiotic use
-avoid harsh chemicals in your food and your environment.
-take steps to calm your stress like meditation, breathing, and yoga.
-Follow Paleo/Primal diet and lifestyle guidelines.